Friday, September 15, 2017

Time for Some Golf........The New Course



Beautiful morning.......

Ready for some action......

It is always such a thrill for us to be back here in St. Andrews. While The Old Course is the centerpiece of it all, there are still six other wonderful courses here in St. Andrews and countless others all around the Kingdom of Fife. After getting some time in yesterday evening on The Castle, I was ready to give it a go on The New Course this afternoon. The weather was beautiful, albeit it very windy. Would make for a good test today. Kristen was happily situated in The Old Course Hotel Spa so I was clear to get after it. The New Course doesn't take tee times so I made my way to the starter after grabbing some lunch in the clubhouse. I always enjoy listening to the war stories from rounds just played along with the faces filled with anticipation for rounds yet to be played. We all have one thing in common here, the love of Golf. 

I ended up playing by myself out there today, sandwiched in between two big groups. No bother though as it allowed me to take my time and really enjoy the day. I really like the 5th hole below. You have to flight the ball down, taking enough club to carry those two well placed bunkers in the front of  a green that slopes away from you. I missed my mark by 1 yard and trickled into the left bunker. After a bunker shot to about 4 feet, I walked away with par. 

One of my favorite Par 3's out here...

Par 3 5th....

On many of the holes, like the long Par 4 6th, sight lines are often based on towers or buildings in the distance. Part one, choose wisely. Part two, execute!



View from the tee of the Par 4 6th.....

The Par 5 8th hole is one of my favorites on The New. I love the way the bunkers frame up the entry into the green. It's definitely a risk / reward type shot for those lucky enough to ever play this hole downwind. Always been quite the opposite when I have played here.




View for my 2nd shot here at the Par 5 8th. Decisions, Decisions!

The Par 3 9th sits right along the Eden Estuary. The winds here are typically howling and today was no different. The Medal Tee plays 225 or so actual yardage. Today it was much more with the wind hard off the left. When I took the club back, a gust of wind threw me off balance during my downswing. I hit the big ball well before the little ball! I dribbled it off to the right twenty or thirty yards. Lucky to find it, I played my 2nd to just off the green and then salvaged things from there.




Eden Estuary.....Low Tide

Par 4 10th green....

Par 4 11th approach.....

Here are a couple more favorites from the last few holes today. Love the way the sunlight plays on this course as well as the views of the town as you come down the stretch. 






After the round, I made my way to the club house to catch up with the "Elders" of The St Andrews Golf Club. The table by the window in front is where I am certain after several days here, all the world's problems could potentially be solved! Not a bad view from where I am sitting. Along with the stories and the wisdom being passed down, I also love the bits of golfing history we have housed here. Such a blessing to be a part of this place. 

Home Away From Home.....

My view......

Doesn't get much better than this for those who love the history of the game.....

Or does it?......

The R & A Clubhouse.....Sunset
Kristen joined me up at the club for a bit before we headed around the corner to Ham's Hame for dinner. With sunsets like the one above, the only thing better would be if they'd last a bit longer. I guess the fact that they don't is what makes them so special. That is all!

No comments:

Post a Comment