Wednesday, September 6, 2017

The Island Golf Club_September 5th 2017




Day one of my golfing exploits took place on a course called The Island Golf Club. Set outside of Dublin some 15 or 20 minutes, the course is aptly named although water only comes into play on a couple of holes. The rest of the time, the water and marshes just provide for a beautiful backdrop. After a short warm up session I was on my way. The winds were howling at no less than 25 mph so it was indeed a challenge. This pic below is the view from the 1st tee. 



The next couple are of the blind tee shot, par 4 5th. You really had to trust the guidepost in the fairway on this one. After a wonderful tee shot, I had a little sand wedge in for my 2nd shot. 





Another blind shot hole here on the Par 4 6th. This tee box had to be about the highest spot on the course. Cool hole.



These next two are of the short Par 3 9th. Not a long shot but when the wind is 25mph+ into you, it makes for a tough one. Ended up in the front left bunker.





I enjoyed the holes on the back 9 more. Here are a couple from the Par 4 11th. With firm fairways and a trailing wind, the 3 wood went right at 300 yards down the left center.







Straight back into the wind here for the next two holes. The 12th was a LONG Par 4 dead into the wind. Had to get up and down for a bogey here. The Par 3 13th was no joke either. With a forced carry over the long stuff and some water lurking on the right, this was a well earned par. 











 The Par 4 14th had some history as well as some really cool views from behind the tee box. As you can see from the plaque pics below, this tee box was built on the foundation of the original clubhouse from the late 1800's. You can also scroll down to see all the boats out there rocking away in the harbor.










The Par 5 15th was probably my favorite hole on the course. I loved the way it set up off the tee. I hit a perfect drive that left we with the chance to reach the green in two. I came up just short and ended up missing my birdie here. Pars don't hurt though!










The Par 4 18th hole was into a very strong right to left wind. The hole played very long and the best I could do here was a bogey to finish the day. Not the way I wanted to finish but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the day. In hindsight, I wish I would have brought my good camera as I certainly got a lot more sun and clear sky than I was expecting.



After getting back to the hotel and getting the report that Kristen's Hot Yoga and shopping excursions went well, we freshened up and headed over to the Westbury Hotel for dinner. I love our evenings when we get the chance to really talk and connect. This grape juice didn't hurt either. Tomorrow's tee time warrants and early morning wake up call. I'm headed over to Portmarnock Golf Club for the day.  Looking forward to it as there is a lot of history there and the course is said to be one of the best. We shall see. That is all!












No comments:

Post a Comment