Monday, September 4, 2017

A Much Needed Day of Rest.....Turnberry





I recently heard someone say that "Sometimes the best thing that ever happens to you is the best thing that never happened to you!" I found those words particularly accurate for me today. While I was scheduled to tee off at 9:30 on the Ailsa Course here at Turnberry, I ended up oversleeping and missed my tee time by a mile. The cold, wind and rain that moved in over night were none too kind to those that did brave the links. While they were torturing themselves outside, Kristen and I enjoyed our day inside. I was able to get the blog done and just chill out. She was "forced" to spend more time in the spa. As luck would have it, they were able to fit her in for another treatment. The girl loves a two hour massage!

While she was busy at the spa, I went down to the clubhouse to hang out and watch the carnage from the warm confines of my cozy chair. Sky Sports kept me up to speed with the day's events. The grill room was full of golfing groups from all over the world. My ears were filled with the tales of today's rounds. Each one trying to outdo the other. "Yeah, I've got one for you......Wait until you hear this!" No matter where I go to play golf around the world, the stories are always the same at the end of the round. While we are all so different, golf has a way of making us all one in the same. When looking out towards the Firth of Clyde, Ailsa Craig was doing her best disappearing act. As the rains came rolling in, she would disappear in the distance. When the skies began to clear, out she came again. It is often said over here that when you can see Ailsa Craig, it's about to rain. If you can't see her, it's raining! These words were very apropos today. Interesting fact about Ailsa is that she provides the blue hone granite used to make curling stones.


Once Kristen finished up round two at the spa we made our way to to little place down the shore in Girvan for dinner. Austins was recommended by the hotel and it did not disappoint. We were treated to a wonderful meal as well as the chance to give back to a lovely local family sitting next to us. Unbeknownst to them, I had the waitress add their bill to ours. They were so appreciative and as we soon found out, they were celebrating their anniversary. Hopefully in some little way, we made their night even more special.

Tomorrow we are off to Dublin, via the ferry at Stranraer. We have travelled to Ireland via the ferry on several occasions. We're looking forward to the next several days as we have never been to Dublin and that part of Ireland. We'll be in Dublin for several days before heading back over here on Friday. We've not been to the Dublin area so we are very much looking forward to these next few days. That is all!


No comments:

Post a Comment